Our Family: Billy, Christa, Miller, Merritt, Briggs and Jasper

Friday, June 6, 2008

Stable for Now



Briggs is stable now, but needs LOTS of drugs to sedate and paralyze him, otherwise he is MAD, HURTING and/or HUNGRY. In a few moments of semi-clarity, he pointed at the door. It made me happy to see him communicating, but said that he was telling me he wanted to leave. Here is a picture of him trying to suck his thumb with his favorite blanky. The breathing tube makes it a little tricky! You'll see he has new bandaged on his sternum because the surgery last night was a repeat procedure albeit unplanned. Also, a picture of Miller visiting with us in the ICU.

The neurology team came to assess Briggs as best they could given his sedated state. They felt that whatever they were able to test appeared normal. His other metrics are stable or normal as far as we've been told. When/if they extubate tomorrow will be the real test b/c that's when he'll be most uncomfortable and un-medicated. Briggs is quite the topic of discussion in the ICU today. Dr. Hanley said in his thousands of cases, he's never had a child tear a suture out like this from thrashing around. Briggs the Bruiser.

Mary Speiser and Julie Nelson have been a huge help in providing shoulders to lean on, and giving us a break occasionally. We have been so lucky to have so many friends and family members helping out. A huge thanks to Mary Karen Lundh who scrambled in to the hospital last night when Briggs went into surgery and stuck with us through the whole thing. Thanks MK!

We also had a special visit from Dr. Simpson, a family friend, interventional cardiologist, and professor at Stanford Medical school. JBS is quite the man in cardiology, and all of the doctors knew who he is...so they gave the straight scoop and it was great to have his input.

We will keep you posted as things progress...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh THANK GOD!! Hang tight. You have more support than you can imagine. We are checking your blog constantly. You can do it, Briggs! Just stop being such a toughie!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there to give you hugs and try to make you laugh. I'm so happy that Briggs is stable - thinking of him every minute :))

Unknown said...

Oh Thank God is right!!!! I've never been so obsessed with checking the Internet before in my life. Briggs is a very strong little boy...as we've all learned. I don't think you need to worry about him. He's too tough to let this get him down. He let the doctors know exactly who is boss! Watch out when he gets home...I have a feeling he's going to rule the world!!! :) WE LOVE YOU!

Andrea said...

So glad to hear that Briggs is stable. What a rough night you guys had. I'm praying that everything goes as smooth as possible from here on out.

Alex Spoto said...

Oh my god. I am overjoyed to hear Briggs is stable again. I think of you all constantly.
All my love,
Rita

The Gearharts said...

What a relief! He is one strong little guy. So glad to hear he is stable. Thinking of you all!

les said...

Whew! What a fighter...think of the great story you can tell Briggs about himself one day!

Prayers, les

Unknown said...

So glad to hear this update, been with you all day in heart and mind. Emily wanted to leave this morning to fly out there with me-maybe Briggs will end up with her instead of with Ashley as we thought. Wish we were hugging you in person-

xoxo

Anonymous said...

What? Briggs is betrothed? uh-oh. sad news for Sylvie.

Amy said...

I've been setting my alarm to go off every hour throughout the night to see how Briggs is doing. I am so relieved he is stable now. I can't wait to meet the little guy. I love all of you so much


Where did everyone go?

Sweet Briggs at Baptism

Sweet Briggs at Baptism