Our Family: Billy, Christa, Miller, Merritt, Briggs and Jasper
Friday, June 6, 2008
NEED LOTS OF PRAYERS NOW
Too crazy for pictures right now. We had a scary, scary night - probably the worst night of our lives. As I wrote earlier, Briggs was MAD and HUNGRY, being the strong guy he his. I kept asking for more sedatives and/or painkillers, but they were conservative despite my warnings that he will try to GET OUT if he doesn't get something to eat (and you can't pick him up to soothe him). Technically you have to wait 6 or more hours after being extubated before eating. Finally Billy convinced them to give him food and while he went to get the formula, Briggs sat up, thrashed around on his tummy and had to be restrained. That's when LOTS of blood starting flowing from his chest tube. They told us to get out and that they were calling our surgeon, Dr. Hanley. Thankfully, Dr. Hanley was still here (midnight) and they ended up doing emergency surgery in hospital room to stop the bleeding - there was not enough time to even go to an OR. So, they opened him back up, but the bleeding was so bad that his blood pressure was dangerously low for several minutes. They couldn't put new blood in faster than his blood was leaving. THANKFULLY, he did not die but now we have other potential complications. He is reintubated and we have to wait to see how he comes out today - there's a chance that there could be multiple organ damage, including the lungs, kindney, brain, etc. It seems like he's peeing well (hopefully the kidney is good) and his liver numbers look okay in the blood, not sure about the lungs as he's still intubated and we'll wait to get an exam this morning about his brain from the neurologist. A far cry from our smooth surgery and day yesterday. Up until then, the plan was to send us to a "real" non-ICU room today and then maybe home in the next two. Please pray for his full recovery and his comfort. He is so uncomfortable!! But, we almost lost him and thankfully he is still with us. What a fighter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Where did everyone go?
Sweet Briggs at Baptism
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(40)
-
▼
June
(33)
- It's been a while
- Doing well, and a video
- At least an answer!
- Anyone Still Out There?
- Happy Skinny Guy
- SUPRISE!!
- Great Day, Lots of Pictures
- Doing Much Better!
- Girls Visit Tuesday
- Infection is Likely
- Who Knows!
- Okay, Briggs too
- The Miller and Merritt Show
- Good News, Bad News
- Pretty good night
- Slow and Steady Progress
- A Few Firsts
- Decent night and finally eating!
- Extubation, Round Two
- It's 3am, I must be lonely
- Stable for Now
- NEED LOTS OF PRAYERS NOW
- Good Night Thursday
- Good News, but kinda sad...
- Waiting for him to wake up
- He's Stable, Still Asleep
- He's Done Already!
- He's In!!
- What is Open Heart Surgery?
- Pre-Op Complete
- Dr. Briggs
- Giving Thanks for Blood
- Escaping to Carmel
-
▼
June
(33)
19 comments:
What a harrowing night you've had. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Briggs. I hope the worst is past and that there are more signs of a full recovery very soon. With love, Dru
We're all praying for Briggs! WE LOVE YOU!
Oh dear Lord. This is exactly what i worried about last night when i didnt see any posts to the blog for a while. Was considering coming in to donate blood just in case. Will call you now. Hang in Briggs. You are so loved and cherished. You MUST be the fine cheery little fellow you were before, only healthier.
Elizabeth
Thinking about you non-stop. We love you all so much. Stay strong little man. - Rachel
Thinking of you all and keeping Briggs in our prayers. Love from us all, Emma
Can't stop thinking about you guys. So sorry to hear the night was a tough one, but, hopefully now the worst is behind you and it's uphill from here. Stay stong and know that we are praying for you non stop. Lots of love and hugs. Linda
Oh my gosh, Christa, I am so so sorry to hear about this. I am praying for all of you. I don't want to bother you, but know that I am always available if you want to talk, or not talk, go on a walk, pray in the chapel, anything you need. We're in 3215A on 3 West, and my cell is 916-606-7180.
Sending you love and prayers,
Andrea
Oh guys - I am so so sorry to hear about the night you had. We are thinking of you all NONSTOP and sending you loads of positive thoughts. Much love and big hugs, Stefanie
I can not stop thinking about you or refreshing my page hoping for some good news. Sending lots of love and prayers. Kathryn
Hi Guys. Hang in there. Thinking of you all. John
We are praying for you all! I went to church today and said some special prayers for Briggs. Positive thinking is powerful!
Love, Vickie
Wow, I am so so sorry. What a terrible night. We have been saying lots of prayers. We will continue to pray for little Briggs full recovery and for you. Stay strong!!! Hang in there!
I am thinking about you all and know that we are all rallying around you and pray that you may soon have peace of mind and Briggs is feeling better.
I have been thinking of you non stop since Thursday morning and especially today. Jack, Brett and I are sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Heather
I will absolutely be praying for you all! God bless you as you encourage, love, and pray for Briggs. I will be praying for God's healing on Briggs, and comfort as his body tries to gain strength. May you all be comforted during this time.
In Him,
Taria
Christa--Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family. Briggs is such a trooper! Wishing you a much better day today and very speedy recovery for your special little cutie. Baker and I are thinking of you & Billy and sending our love and prayers to Briggs. Much love, April
Dear Olson family,
I am a friend of Andrea Himmleberger's, and I read about your son's surgery on Andrea's blog. I just wanted to let you know that Briggs (well, your entire family) are in my thoughts and prayers. From what I hear from Andrea, Dr. Hanley is the best of the best.
Hi Briggs!
This is 'VieVie'. Please try to stay still and let your body get all strong again -- there'll be plenty of time for squirming later. I hear you have a stronger heart now, so you can love your family even more. When you're all better, we'll walk all about together and do our hug-then-fall-down thing. I miss you! xxoo, Sylvie Patterson
HI,
We got your blog from Andrea (Drew's mama)...and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. What a drama filled night...but, thank heavens Dr. Hanley was still in the hospital and they were able to stop the bleeding. I have such tremendous faith in these little heart babies...they always beat the odds...and Briggs will be no different!
Lots of love,
Kathy
http://rollersinvegas.blogspot.com
Post a Comment