Briggs was whimpering and lethargic from about 5:30am on today and his heart rate was consistently very high which was the beginning of him getting a fever. He's pitiful and really suffering, so please please pray for his comfort. This could be just a post op fever or an infection of some sort (which wouldn't suprise me I guess since they did emergency heart surgery in a non-sterile hospital room!). I'm very worried, but the doctors seem to think this is not abnormal and can be easily managed. SO, here's the good news. His chest tubes are out and we are able to leave the ICU today, which will be less stressful for him and we can stay in his room at all times. The ICU is bright, loud and noisy. We all need some peace and quiet. And, we'll be on the same floor as my friend Andrea and her son - maybe even roommates, we'll see. Please pray that this is not an infection or something serious. If it is an infection, we'll be here at least another 7 days.
I'm posting these photos more for the documetation of the series of events here. I would NEVER normally post a picture THIS hideous of myself, but I have to say it kind of makes me laugh because it really sums up how I feel. I'm pretty much a wreck. And I really miss the girls. I'm going to get in a post and some pictures of them soon too. But, I'm still so thankful for our friends and support.
Daddy looking handsome still, sweet Brigsy with a fever now and Mommy looking pathetic!
9 comments:
It is so nice to see you guys holding Briggs!! Must feel like a slice of heaven - for all of you. Fingers crossed that the fever stays away... Much love, Stefanie
Chrissy - I know that face. Please take care of yourself - I wish I could be there to hug you and give you some Nerds Ropes and Lou Malnati's Pizza! Hugs and love from 100 degree Hotlanta
xoxo
Christa and Bill...you guys must take care of yourselves to be strong for Briggs. He needs to know you are as strong as he his!!!! I'm praying his fever goes away. As always, we love you and are sending you all our love! XO
Hey guys, I found your site through Andrea. I've been keeping up on your journey and you sure have been through a lot. I'm so glad to read that you are heading OUT of the ICU. That is a huge step in the right direction and it shows that the medical staff is confident that Briggs is making good progress.
I know it's MUCH easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about the fever. Fevers are very common post surgery, especially with the extra stuff Briggs has been through. It takes a while for those little bodies to normalize. Our son got some seriously scary high fevers after his surgery but eventually they left and all was fine.
Sending many prayers your way! xoxoxo
well your 'pathetic' look rivals my best hot-and-stellar look. but i do see that anxious-to-the-core expression. i hate all this worry and fear for you. it is so lovely to see him more and more detached from tubes and looking like less a 'patient' in your arms. your love is what will help pull him through 100%. keep it flowing. you have our prayers and constant vigilance. he is beautiful.
I love seeing you holding your baby! (and what a cutie he is!)
It is so awesome that God sent you a family going through the same thing to connect with. Your families are in my prayers!
amber
We will pray for Briggs to be fever free and to rest well. He looks so much better already. But you two look very very very tired. You have to try your hardest to get rest. Otherwise you won't have the strength to help Briggs. There is tons of wonderful support around you. Use it for yourselves too!
I think you guys look pretty good for parents nursing a child through open heart surgery (twice over). I'm sure being out of the ICU and in a room where you can nap together will be soothing and more restful for all. Hoping the fever is indeed a minor event and sending love, Dru
Christa & Bill - Stefanie and I have been keeping you guys in our thoughts and sending all our best most positive healthy vibes to Briggs every day. He is the very definition of courage and you both continue to be tested more than any parent ever should--we love each of you and hope you are able to take him home on the road to full recovery with you soon. Much love, Tom
Post a Comment